Monday, February 27, 2006

Oscar Took a Poo On You, 2005

Viggo Mortensen



No comment necessary. Maybe he’ll get another chance at a nom, maybe not. But Oscar surely took a poo on Viggo.

David Cronenberg



OK, so Paul Haggis, who we’ve never heard of before, got a nomination. I hate to dump on a movie I haven’t seen (Crash is the only Best Picture nom I haven’t seen)…. But COME ON. Not only did Paul Haggis yank away the nomination that should have rightfully been Cronenberg’s, but he STOLE the name of his movie from a very recent Cronenberg film. If Cronenberg wasn’t Canadian he would probably beat Paul Haggis up.

Clifton Collins, Jr.



As I’ve said before, I thought that Clifton was a shoe-in for a Best Supporting Actor nomination. He didn’t get one… what can I say, this isn’t the year of the Hispanic. He did play a character of questionable sexuality though… I guess his performance wasn’t full-on Brokeback enough to get a nomination.

Q’Orianka Kilcher



I honestly think that the only reason Q’Orianka didn’t get a nomination is because the young, ethnic newcomer Oscar nod was given to Keisha Castle-Hughes last year, and the Academy couldn’t possibly nominate a different young, ethnic girl the very next year. Better to nominate people who certainly don’t need another nomination… like Dame Judi Dench, who gets nominated so often she sells her spare nominations on ebay. Seriously, Q’Orianka carries The New World, and her transformation in the last third of the movie is remarkable. She does it all with her eyes and her breathing patterns. It’s amazing, I swear.

I’m actually having people over to watch the Oscars this year… and I don’t care about any of the categories, honestly. The only one I’m going to be rooting for is New World for Cinematography. Come on, the two best movies of the year were released by New Line… maybe they should have followed Lion’s Gate suit and sent out 30 bazillion screeners of A History of Violence and The New World.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home