Saturday, March 18, 2006

Junebug



Yesterday, Kelly and I watched a really awesome movie that should be added to my Best of 2005 List. Junebug is one of those “independent” films that succeeds 100% - the characters are vividly portrayed and moving without being cloying or artificial, the cinematography instills a real sense of place without being self-consciously artsy, and it moves along at a pace that feels leisurely but is never boring. I don’t really have much to say about the movie – it’s just a perfect snapshot of a particular family in a specific place and time. I know that doesn’t sound really enticing, but it’s rare to see films like this. The last “indie” film I saw that I felt the same way about was The Station Agent. Sorry to keep using “indie” in quotes, but I really don’t know what term to use for this type of movie anymore.

I mostly wanted to post about this movie to reiterate how much I hate some of the people who share this earth with us. I’m going to highlight yet another Movie Review By a Total Retard, this time from Netflix:

By reviewer Kate Jones:
“The performances were wonderful. The characters were extremely believeable, and portrayed so well you felt what they felt, whether you liked it or not. However, that's not what I personally watch a movie for. I want entertainment, and that's not what I got from this film at all. 2 Stars.”

How anyone could be so soulless is really beyond me. I find this review to be much more offensive than the one directly beneath it:

By reviewer Joe:
“Even though the movie's only a hour and 45 minutes, it felt like 4...soooo long, sooooo boring... “

This person is clearly just a total idiot, but the first viewer actually felt some connection to the story and characters, and STILL somehow hated the movie. I like to read these reviews, because they make me extremely glad that I’m NOT one of these morons… nor are any of my friends.

4 Comments:

Blogger Sandy said...

What I remember most about this movie is 1) the (series of) shots where he just films the town out of his car window. Houses streaming by. How simple and yet it does create a sense of place perfectly. And so easy to film! I could do that! 2) the song. I forget who it's by but I wondered why it wasn't nominated for best song instead of... uh... all the other nominees.

8:54 AM  
Blogger Sandy said...

Yo La Tango. That's who did the song.

8:57 AM  
Blogger Sandy said...

Yo La Tango. That's who did the song.

8:57 AM  
Blogger ginsoakedgirl said...

Yo La Tengo. Apparently that band is popular with the hipster kids. I wouldn't know. It was a catchy song though. And the rest of the movie was pretty devoid of non-diagetic music, a good choice in this case.

But how could they have done an Academy Awards interpretive dance of the song? Some sort of conflict between southern white trash/outsider artists and snooty Chicago cultured-types? I would have liked to see that!

4:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home