Thursday, September 14, 2006

TORONTO – DAY FOUR

Sunday. I was seriously exhausted by this point.
Film one – Palimpsest. A Polish psycho-thriller full of interesting ideas, but I didn’t care for it that much. It was really dark and murky, and kind of exists in an altered reality, and it’s terribly difficult to watch things like that at 9 in the morning while swilling the first cup of coffee of the day. Steve liked the movie quite a bit though. The director was there and he helped clear up some of the lingering questions after the film.

Film two – Chronicle of an Escape. An Argentinean film about men who are captured by some right-wing paramilitary group (or maybe even the government? It was unclear to me) and held in a house to be tortured for months. As you can tell from the title, they do pull off an escape. But I officially call a moratorium on films about political prisoners who are tortured and have to escape. Two within two days is enough!



Film three – Paris Je T’aime. This was a collection of short films, each set within a different neighborhood of Paris. A few standouts were by Tom Tykwer, Alexander Payne, and the Coen Brothers. The whole film was really excellent, the only weak short being one directed by Christopher Doyle (dude can do the cinematography, but his short only succeeded in emphasizing the fact that he’s a lecherous old dude obsessed with rail-thin Asian women). Alexander Payne was there for the Q&A, and kept making eye contact with me. That may be because I was staring at him while beaming the entire time. He is super hot. Plus, he kind of made a bit of a fuggery mistake – the shape of his penis was clearly visible through his khaki pants, which weren’t even that tight. Steve swears that he did it on purpose because a guy would never accidentally wear pants which made his penis visible. I guess I believe Steve. But Alexander Payne is really charming and hot, regardless of whether he’s an exhibitionist.

After the third film, we went out to an excellent Italian restaurant. The waiter seemed to love both of us (we probably gave him a lot more of our time than the typical guests they get there – it was right by The Four Seasons). He gave us free drinks and we promised to come back to the restaurant next year, but only if he would wait on us. Then we hit a gay bar, and went to a convenience store in order to buy junk food that’s not available in the U.S. The only thing that I bought was a variety of Kit Kat flavors: Dark chocolate, double chocolate, cinnamon, and peanut butter. We are seriously deprived of Kit Kat flavors in the States! Anyway I managed to get pretty wasted that night (at least by the time we got back to the hotel room). It was really fun.

1 Comments:

Blogger ginsoakedgirl said...

I have to add something. I just called the Chicago Film Fest to check on their sellout policy (apparently they don't hold any tickets for same-day sales). The lady on the phone told me that so far "The only thing that's sold out is Paris Je T'aime." I was like, "Oh, that's all right, I've already seen it." I am such a bitch.

2:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home