Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Random Thoughts of the Day

PIGEONS
I saw one of the grossest things I’ve ever seen yesterday. While parking in the Jewel-Osco parking lot (also the parking lot for the clinic) I saw a recently run-over pigeon. I didn’t get too close, but it appeared that its gullet (stomach, whatever) had burst open, and one of its fellow pigeons was eating the food that spilled out of the corpse of his dead brother. It was completely disgusting, but almost impossible to look away. I didn’t feel like waiting around to see if the pigeons would actually eat one of their own, however. I’m pretty sure they would.

JAMES FRANCO
I find this fellow to be extremely good-looking. He doesn’t even have the advantage of being a liminal Hollywood actor, however: Every movie he’s in seems to be pure shit. I should modify that – he was in Robert Altman’s ballet film The Company, and I loved that. Nobody else even bothered to watch it though. It was a small, contained picture, but expertly filmed and really enjoyable. Everything else he’s in appears to be completely without merit. Just look at his output from the last two years: Tristan + Isolde, Flyboys, and two films that he both directed and starred in called The Ape and The Great Raid (I’m assuming they both went directly to DVD). Either he’s seriously trying to be a director, or he’s stuck in vanity project hell. I guess he wins bonus points for the audacity of directing and starring in those films, but I’m also afraid to watch them.

I should be fair and point out that I haven’t seen any of those movies, and don’t think anyone else saw them either. A pretty face isn’t enough to get me to drag my ass into the theater to see something like Annapolis (sorry, Justin Lin).

JAMES WOODS
James Woods is a legitimate Hollywood character. He’s a great actor (kind of the opposite of James Franco) and has made some really smart career choices, notably starring as Max Renn in Videodrome and as Ray Cohn in Citizen Cohn.
I’ll grant him these achievements in spite of the fact that he is supposedly a Republican. Who knows if he goes so far as to be an actual Bush supporter – I’d rather not know. What I know for sure is that even though he’s 30 years older than me, if I wanted to date him (which I don’t), I am WAY too old for him. I have absolutely no problem with age-difference relationships, and like the idea of dating older men in general. But, seriously, James Woods and his 19-year-old ex-girlfriend? That’s creepy. And here’s a tidbit gleaned from imdb: “(James Woods) was engaged to actress Missy Crider in 1997; they met when she played his daughter in the TV movie Jane's House.” Ewwwww.....

3 Comments:

Blogger Carrie Ann said...

Ewww! I read a little thing about his recent breakup that said he'd known his girlfriend since she was FIVE. That's disgusting.

I could go either way about James Franco, but if you like him, you should immediately get Freaks and Geeks from Netflix. Great show.

7:32 AM  
Blogger ginsoakedgirl said...

Yeah, I read that about James Woods' ex too. That is really horrifying.

And I think Freaks and Geeks is in my netflix queue. I didn't know he was in that. Every now and then I develop a mild interest in someone who doesn't appear to merit it. Who knows, he might be trying to be a legitimate actor... after all it should be pretty easy for him to whore it up in the pages of Star, and I've never seen him in there once.

9:11 AM  
Blogger Sandy said...

Hey, I saw The Company- it sucked. I also saw Tristan & Isolde - if you think Franco's hot, you should definitely rent that because his hotness is allowed to shine through (not like in Spiderman.) Also Rupert Sewell is in that and he's pretty dope.

11:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home