Thursday, June 08, 2006

Top 100

Italic titles are in the top 10. There are 11… I can’t explain that.

Abre los ojos
Akira Kurosawa's Dreams
Alice (Woody Allen, 1990)
Altered States
Amadeus
American Psycho
Animal Crackers – had to pick a Marx Bros. movie, and this is my favorite by far
Apocalypse Now
Babe – greatest vegetarian propaganda film ever made
Badlands
Basquiat
Being There – Peter Sellers not being funny… a great film that not enough people have seen
Before Sunset
The Big Lebowski – obvious choice, dude
Blow Up
Blue Velvet
Brazil – this maybe should be in my top 10 as well
Bringing Out the Dead – brilliant cinematography, so I can include it even though I’ve only seen it once
Chungking Express
A Clockwork Orange – another obvious choice, my droogies
Close Encounters of the Third Kind – you guys must have forgotten about this one
The Company
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon – we all agree that this movie kicks butt
Cyclo
Dead Man
Dead Ringers
Donnie Darko
The Double Life of Veronique
Down with Love
Ed Wood
The Empire Strikes Back
Enter the Dragon
E.T. the Extraterrestrial
Fallen Angels
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
Fellini Satyricon
Fist of Fury (Jet Li)
The 400 Blows
The Godfather
The Godfather: Part II
The Graduate
Hable con ella – Almodovar’s best
Harold and Maude
Heathers
A History of Violence
House of Flying Daggers – could have been alternately titled “Forest Sluts”
Jacob's Ladder – this movie closely parallels part of my hospital/coma experience… not many people can watch Jacob’s Ladder and be reminded of something that actually happened to them
The Jerk – still the best Steve Martin movie ever
Jules and Jim
Labyrinth
Lolita (Adrian Lyne version)
The Long Goodbye
Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Rings
The Loss of Sexual Innocence – self-indulgent art flick that I think is brilliant, and I can’t get enough of it – nobody else likes it except my sister and Roger Ebert
La mala educacion
The Man Who Fell to Earth
Marathon Man
The Mirror – one of the few movies that I would actually say shifted my entire consciousness
The Mission
Mississippi Mermaid
Monty Python's The Meaning of Life – they really do a good job of simplifying everything that you think you can’t understand in the universe
My Life as McDull – the only animation on my list
The New World – another consciousness-shifter
North by Northwest – Cary Grant runs across America! The classic action film
Oldboy
Pecker
The Piano
The Pillow Book
The Princess Bride
Psycho
Repo Man
Repulsion
Run Lola Run
Scarface
Schizopolis
sex, lies, and videotape
Shadow of a Doubt – a Hitchcock film that everyone should see
Sherlock, Jr. – I had to have a Buster Keaton movie on this list, and this is his best. It’s shockingly ahead of its time
The Shining
Shoot the Piano Player
Short Cuts
Sleeper
Solaris (Soderbergh version)
Star Wars
Tampopo
Terminal U.S.A. – funniest Asian-American movie ever made (sorry, Harold & Kumar)
Thirty-Two Short Films About Glenn Gould
Time and Tide
Trainspotting
Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me
Two English Girls
2001
Vertigo
Videodrome
What's Eating Gilbert Grape
The Wicker Man (1973)
Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (1972)
Wings of Desire – another consciousness-shifter
X-Files: Fight the Future – OK, when you think about how excited I was for this movie, I’m totally justified in adding it to my list. And guess what? They’re working on the second X-Files movie right now
Young Frankenstein
Zentropa – Lars von Trier, before he turned into the biggest misogynistic, sadistic asshole in the world

7 Comments:

Blogger ginsoakedgirl said...

OK - I switched something quick to include Scarface. "Say hello to my leetle friend..." I'm pretty sure nobody read the list yet, so I'm safe making the last minute switcheroo.

9:07 PM  
Blogger Carrie Ann said...

See, Maya picks all of these actual "good" films, while I pick ones I watched so many times that I wore out the VHS. That's how I defined my list - movies that I know by heart and that at one time or another have been termed my favorite. OK, that time might have been when I was 2 (Wizard f Oz) or 12 (Mighty Ducks) or 22 (Memento), but still. They deserve their spot.

Only Maya could watch things like American Psycho and A Clockwork Orange enough to wear out the tape.

7:26 AM  
Blogger ginsoakedgirl said...

Yeah, don't forget that my idea of a romantic comedy is Lolita.

1:59 PM  
Blogger Sandy said...

I feel stupid.

Here are the films I am supposed to have to see from this list (ha ha, only half the list...)

Altered States (already reserved it from library)
Animal Crackers
Badlands
Blow Up
Blue Velvet
Brazil (Marc has been bugging me to see this for years)
Dead Ringers
Double Life of Veronique
Ed Wood
Fellini Satyricon
400 Blows
Long Goodbye
The Mirror
The Mission
Mississippi Mermaid
Monty Python Meaning of Life
My Life as McDull (how???)
Pillow Book
Repulsion
Schizopolis
Shadow of a Doubt
Shoot the Piano Player
32 Short Films...
Two English Girls
2001 (Keep falling asleep)
Videodrome
Wickerman (fell asleep)
Zentropa

8:04 AM  
Blogger ginsoakedgirl said...

Put The Mission, Ed Wood, Brazil, and Blue Velvet towards the top of your list. Those are all damn entertaining, and easy watches (even if a couple are devastatingly depressing). Ed Wood is totally hilarious, brilliant, and has Johnny Depp! How the heck have you avoided this one?

6:29 PM  
Blogger Sandy said...

My hold on Ed Wood just came through at the library...

9:07 AM  
Blogger ginsoakedgirl said...

I'm surprised I never made you watch Dead Ringers. Although that's not such a great movie for a bunch of women to sit around and watch. As for My Life as McDull, I pretty much have to buy that one (I found it at asiandiscs.com) - once I do, I'll let you know. I've only seen it once - maybe I won't even like it as much next time?

12:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home