Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Time for the TOP 100

OK – this is kind of a big project. When I was in Portland, I wanted to make some lists (keeping in mind that this is a favorite activity of Sandy’s, and also one that I don’t mind so much!) But we ran out of time. I wanted to make a list of our 100 favorite movies. So let’s do it, now! And if there are any films in our top 100 which our friends haven’t seen, it’s their (or our) sworn duty to see that film ASAP.



I’ve done my top 10 before – this is easy, since it changes very rarely. The only addition to my top 10 in the past 5 years has been The New World, and I honestly don’t know which film it bumped out of my top 10 since I haven’t done the list in awhile. I’ve figured out my top 25 as well, and that’s pretty easy. But when you get to 100, you have to make some serious decisions about what to cut and what to keep. So I think it’s important to give it a try!

Please, if you have the time and the energy - post your Favorite 100 Movies of All Time list – and any explanations why.

P.S. – this is not a list of the “100 Greatest Films” of all time. This is a list of the movies you love, not the ones your teachers (or Maya) told you to love.

Ciao, and Good Luck!

9 Comments:

Blogger Sandy said...

I'm done already! I actually did this a few days ago; I'll post my list tomorrow. I was surprised at how much of my list is comprised of guilty pleasures. Don't judge me.

7:59 AM  
Blogger ginsoakedgirl said...

Damn, I only have 21 on my list. I haven't devoted a lot of time to it yet but I'm already running into problems. I have to go through my movie list year by year and not omit anything. I won't judge you, The Empire Strikes Back is on my list, after all. ciao

4:57 PM  
Blogger Carrie Ann said...

You guys - I'm having trouble even thinking of movies I really love. I'm at about 85, and I know I'm forgetting a few, but... at first I only wanted to include movies that are like a part of me, and now I'm throwing on just about anything I like.

And they're almost ALL American and made within the last 35 years. So don't judge me either!

8:41 AM  
Blogger Carrie Ann said...

OK, I'm cutting it down to 50, and here are my Top 15 in as accurate an order as I can give. You will note the fact that I have THREE Rob Reiner movies on this list. Also note that I'm not trying to impress anyone with these sentimental choices.

1. It’s a Wonderful Life
2. When Harry Met Sally
3. Lord of the Rings Trilogy (no, I will not split them up)
4. Goodfellas
5. The Princess Bride
6. The Sandlot
7. Stand By Me
8. Grease
9. Field of Dreams
10. The Usual Suspects
11. The Royal Tenenbaums
12. On The Waterfront
13. The Breakfast Club
14. Memento
15. Good Will Hunting

11:52 AM  
Blogger Carrie Ann said...

And the rest, in alphabetical order:

16. Almost Famous
17. Amelie
18. Anne of Green Gables/Avonlea
19. Best In Show
20. The Big Lebowski
21. Braveheart
22. A Christmas Story
23. Clueless
24. Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon
25. Dead Poets Society
26. Dirty Dancing
27. Emma
28. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
29. Ferris Bueller’s Day Off
30. The Goonies
31. Heathers
32. The Manchurian Candidate (Frankenheimer)
33. The Matrix
34. The Mighty Ducks
35. Monsters Inc.
36. The Muppet Movie
37. Ocean’s 11 (Soderbergh)
38. Office Space
39. Reality Bites
40. Reservoir Dogs
41. A River Runs Through It
42. Scarface
43. The Shawshank Redemption
44. The Shining
45. Silence of the Lambs
46. Sliding Doors
47. Star Wars – Empire Strikes Back
48. Swingers
49. The Wizard of Oz
50. X-Men 2

11:58 AM  
Blogger Sandy said...

Decent list, Uute. I am ready to post mine but blogger is being a dickhead with all sorts of technical difficulties.

1:06 PM  
Blogger ginsoakedgirl said...

Here's the films I have in common with Carrie:

Lord of the Rings
The Princess Bride
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
Heathers
The Shining
The Empire Strikes Back

This is when having a list of every movie you've ever seen comes in handy!

7:27 PM  
Blogger ginsoakedgirl said...

Hmmm.... I should have Scarface on my list also. Damnit, I knew this was going to happen.

7:27 PM  
Blogger Sandy said...

On the Waterfront
Mighty Ducks
Swingers

are the movies from Carrie's list that I have to see. That shouldn't be too painful.

8:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home